February 28, 2018
Believe it or not, we are only a few weeks away from spring. We have had a little taste of it in the past few weeks. What a welcomed change?
You received a letter on Friday regarding my plans for next year. I just want to assure you that I will be the principal for the next four months and will give 110 percent of my time and energy until I finish on June 30th.
As you know there has been lots of publicity regarding the shooting in Florida on February 14th. I just want to reiterate the measures me have in place to protect our students.
- Last year, Father Mike, Bill Joesel, Margaret Hemma, and I went to Police Station District 17 for four weeks and made a comprehensive plan entitled Emergency Operation Plan.
There were law enforcement members present, people from Homeland Security, and Archdiocesan personal that presented at the meeting. The police department has a copy of our manual and we do in the parish and school. (Since we were one of the first schools to go through this training. I would like you to know that they took the plan we already had in place and used it as a model for other schools.)
- We had all emergency drills in September. If you look at your calendar, they are listed for each week.
- We had a Lockdown Drill with a police officer present on September 26, 2017. He walked the halls to make sure that everyone was secure in their classrooms. This also included the Minim School. (We do this every year in September.)
- We had a Lockdown Drill in Church after Mass on September 27, 2017.
- All of our teachers carry a cell phone with them.
- Our children have been instructed not to open the door for anyone even if they know them. They are to let the person ring the bell.
- The police from District 17 visit the school once a month to check to see if we have any concerns and generally how things are going each day.
I hope this will help you with any worries or concerns you might have. We would be remiss if we did not realize that we are living in turbulent times.
Thank you to SEPO for the delicious breakfast and the generous gifts given to all on Faculty and Staff Appreciation day. It was indeed a wonderful treat and get together.
Please, if you have not sent in your registration form for next year please do so now. If you do not intend to return we need that information also. The Budget process is almost complete but they need actual numbers to help determine tuition fees, staffing etc.
We have finished two weeks of Lent. I hope it has been a prayerful time for our families. We sent home a Lenten calendar that has many ideas for family activities. Blessings to all of you.
Sr. Marie Michelle, OP